All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do. Author Unknown



Friday, January 21, 2011

Who would have guessed?

OMG.... I'm really doing this.  I have so much to learn and so many things that I don't even know to ask...but am just going to dive in.  I literally "run" my errands at lunch now.....grocery, drug store, etc... and things have taken on a whole new meaning too.  My first race is tomorrow... it's a 5k on Park Avenue in Winter Park and I'm doing it ! WOW... it's scary and exciting all at the same time.  It's funny the things you think about like what should I wear?  Will I look like I know what I'm doing... you know what I'm talking about.  I am so glad I decided to blog on this because I find it kind of like therapy...a place to re-group and make sure I'm staying focused.  I always wanted to journal and put my thoughts somewhere so this experience is perfect. This outdoor running world has kind of given me a new light -- like a freedom of sorts.  Yesterday was a busy day at work and I wasn't getting much done--felt overwhelmed and like I just couldnt' get caught up.  At first I thought I just couldn't fit in the lunch run...but, would do it after work...well, you know how those things happen, right? I ended up stopping everyhting I was doing and put on my running shoes and went out into the fresh air.... I just hit the ground running and felt better instantly.  I even came up with my plan for the race on Saturday.... I'm going to do 1/4 mile intervals of running and walking. Today I actually ran my first mile... it was in sections, but it was my first mile.  Katy was so proud of me... and that made me feel good like I had accomplished something really BIG!

Gale in our office is also thinking of joining us for our afternoon outings.  She is signing up for the next 5k which is going to be all women at Meade Gardens in Winter Park.  She'll be bringing her daughter so looks like we have a good group of girls going and this goodness just keeps spreading and more and more sparks are flying!  Life is Good !!

1 comment:

  1. Getting shoes fitted

    Not only the size but the type (not brand so much but type)…racing flat, support shoe, cushioning , neutral shoe etc. They will measure your feet and then here they make you walk, and then run in a pair of neutral shoes to see if you are pronating (leaning inwards with a collapsed arch) or supinating (leaning outwards) and then they try to fit you with a shoe that offers the proper fit to most make your stride a neutral one to ward off injuries to knees, shins etc. It is well worth the time to go in and have them do this for you…especially when you get running more b/c you wouldn’t believe what an ill fitting shoe can cause as far as knee pains , ankles , and even feet. When you can go in and do it…they don’t charge anything at all. Just tell them you’re getting into running and someone suggested getting their shoes fitted to find the best one for them. FYI…I’m more of a neutral /small amount of support can be used. I like a real lightweight shoe which usually means I have to get a neutral and less cushioning. The more cushion and support you want/need the heavier the shoe.!!! I have a hot pink Asics pair…you’d love them. That was the pair I wore for our ½…first time I ever wore them I did the 13 miles so they must have been pretty good for me. Once you know what kind of shoe you need them you can focus on different brand names within that same category and most should work. 

    ReplyDelete